Saturday, October 20, 2007

Halloween Terror South Philly Fest

Getting me pumped for Halloween is like giving a fourteen year old a boner: easy as shit. My mom and I used to work as haunters at the Strausburg Railroad Museum when I was little. Then, all through middle school and high school, we’d all load up in someone’s parent’s minivan to get dropped off in the middle of nowhere to smoke stolen cigarettes, and get the piss scared out of us on haunted hayrides. Then that stupid paradigm shift happened in college, where everyone forewent driving fun for drinking fun, and suddenly there were Halloween parties. I once dated a guy just cause he made such a convincing Rod Stewart. It didn’t last long, but that was like the last fucking sweet Halloween.


My first year in Philly I had my own Halloween party. I had made this excellent mummy costume. Unfortunately, I later decided wasn’t conducive to partying, so I went as a sorrostitute instead, which was convenient, because a friend went as a frat boy, and had a beer bong. By midnight, before the party even really started I was wasted. The last thing I remember is spraying fake blood all over some people who hadn’t worn costumes and screaming: “I don’t know how any of you are drunk, because I am already ALL THE DRUNK.” That night I earned the nickname “Passout Polly,” but not before ruining a lot of things in my room with a sweet Linda Blair impersonation.


Last year was better, I think, except that I forgot to turn my clock back, and ended up working a full shift cutting fruit on only two hours of party sleep instead of three. I guess all I’m trying to say is that the years since the devil’s drink has taken over my devil’s night have fucking been more and more lame. So! This year, I thought I might get back to basics, and try to see the dark light that I once found in Halloween once again.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Part 1:
Six Flags: Asshole Adventure- Fright(ning douche) Fest

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

We spent six hours at the park and rode four rides. One of them was the teacups (which are hilarious and awesome, so don’t be “too cool” to spin, okay?) We could have ridden more rides, except for all the swells that shelled out the extra $40 (on top of the $30 to get in at half price) to get this thing called “FlashPass”.


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Okay, so here’s how it works: you get this little beeper thing that you scan at these kiosks at the gate of the ride line,


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Then it tells you when to come back so you can go get a blowjob in the bathroom or count your gold coins or whatever while all these other honest idiots are waiting in line, and then just stroll back in and onto the ride. So, if you don’t have the FlashPass, you wait in line for an hour to ride Skull Mountain, and then get to the front only to get FlashPassed, and have to wait some more! I’m not insane about class dilineation, but like The Game says in How We Do: “Bougie ass bitches you can kiss my ass”. And yes, we did boo some ten year olds with FlashPasses off the ride. But! Seriously, Kingda Ka was totally worth the two hour wait. I know it only lasted for 50 seconds, but it goes from 0-130mph in 3.5 seconds, and made the whole day worth it. P.S. Should I have been surprised that Six Flags would pit us park goers against each other for a quick buck, when there’s product placement like this?


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Part 2:
Haunted alley! I’ve never lived in a city where the residents love to decorate as much as they do in South Philly. They would decorate for Wednesdays if you gave them garland. I love ooohhing and ahhhing at the lights at Christmas, so I figured I might be able to find my holiday spirit on Tasker st. Some decorations that seemed strange, but pretty popular were these plastic sheets that no one seemed to know how to hang straight.


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


In fact, everything seemed to be lacking in true respect for the meaning of Halloween

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Except for the windows. All of my favorite spooks were featured:


Ghosts

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Black Cats

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Witches

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Skeletons

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

And even Zombies!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Anyway, here were some of my favorites,
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket



Part 3:

Tame-itentury: Terror without the Balls.

Our groups weren’t spaced out enough, so our group kept getting the tail end of the boo! Gags meant for the group in front of us, AND in the group in front of us, someone kept laying these super gnarly farts, but I shouldn’t complain, because the company was good, and our tickets were free… So I won’t. Besides, the parts that were really good, I don’t want to give away.


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Whatever, fuck it, despite my adulthood trying to harsh my Halloween high, I am still super pumped. Take that!, responsibility, pride, accomplishments, rational thought! Fuckers. Until next week, when you can see pictures of me in a body suit, and I’ll write about something that won’t be as exciting as whatever else you’re doing that weekend, like my new iTunes account, or some movie reviews. Probably some movie reviews.


Written and Photos by Courtney Davison

1 comment:

mizzmetro said...

Funny story about South Philly decorating...

So on 9th Street... I think it's 9th Street. Could be, could not be... either way it's the street right next to the new Rita's Italian Ice on Passyunk. Fuck... anyway... there are X-mas lights strung across the street from house to house. Now normally, these lights aren't on. However, Rita's had their grandest of grand openings a few weeks ago and some fucking party animal decided that was a good enough reason to throw the fuck down and turn on the Xmas lights. Jim and I were coming back from some place where ever and noticed that the lights were on and the giant, light-and-excessively-garlanded "HAPPY HOLIDAYS" in the middle of the light show was burning our retinas with its pseudo-holiday cheer. I was like, "God I love this neighborhood. It's like living in the movie Animal House, only with less fraternity bullshit and with more 98-year-old Italian farts hanging on their porches and reviving the buzz that life recently killed.