Wednesday, October 17, 2007

TRKFLD, Meet GHNWS

(I hope vowels never become cool again. Fuck vowels...
I mean, FCK VWLS.)


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

A few weeks ago, I sat down and constructed a list of questions I was interested in asking Bryan Poerner, founder of TRKFLD, the successful Philly based bag company. I sent Bryan the questions via the magical twisting ether that we call the internet and sat back to wait. The following correspondence ensued...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


(Bags: Benjamin, Maile, Luu, Borah)



The Interview

Louisa: Your bags have a very clean simple feel to them even though you often use busy prints, creating a very unique look. Any plans to branch out in a different visual direction as far as fabric patterns go?

Bryan: The idea from the start was to use ultra traditional shapes for our bags. Smooth, clean lines. Simple. Then use really fun, fresh materials to give the bags their character. The line we have out now uses all Sunbrella brand fabric. This is traditionally used for awnings, outdoor furniture and other things of that nature. We love the colors and the patterns that this fabric offers, plus the practical features. It is water resistant, will never ever fade, and you can clean it off with soap and water. So you should be able to keep it looking good forever.

Sunbrella is only the start though. We plan to branch out our fabric family next season. We are messing around with a bunch of ideas though. The tag on the front will change, depending on the fabric we use.


L: Have you quit your day job yet? How do you find time to design?

B: I have not quit my day job. I work a lot, but it doesn't feel like work. I go around talking about running shoes for Puma half the day... and dream up new bag ideas the rest of the day. Squeeze in some xbox/running time too. I stay busy.


L: You design the fabric patterns or do you pick from existing options from the material provider?

B: We don’t make our own fabric. We think of our fabric partners as designers themselves and don’t want to mess with what they got going. We just want to do neat stuff with their product.


L: City Paper hinted in a past article that you may be playing around with a Harris Tweed fabric in the future. Seems like a perfect look for a new line, any plans for a darker Fall or Winter line?

B: Yeah, we will have this for next fall. We are working on the samples now. This line will be small and tight, but should be killer. The history of Harris Tweed is cool as heck, and we are super excited to be working with it.


L: As a Philly specific blog we are obviously interested in the fact that you are a Philly Based Company. You are currently selling your bags at smaller boutiquey shops. Would you consider selling them at a large nation wide chain in the future if that option came about, or is the small independent business idea important to you?

B: Well, it is all important. I love small business. I love the idea of people doing stuff on their own. That is why we started Track + Field. As far as distribution goes, we will have a tiered approach. The Sunbrella line will be our mass appeal line. This will be in some bigger places. We just started working with Urban Outfitters for the Holiday season. You will see this some other large places also. But we will have some small lines that are only available in smaller places too. This way we can kind of live in both worlds.


L: When you and your wife, Thi are not busy with your numerous professions what do you enjoy doing?

B: We like playing with our dogs, Critter and Noodle. Bringing them on adventures. I also dig running a lot. I try and get out at least 5 times a week. Xbox has also taken up too much of my time of late. But can you blame me? Halo is fun as heck. Thi bakes a lot and would be traveling I am sure if we were not so busy. She snuck into Laos once.


L: Any favorite Philly spots?

B: Sure. Essene in the fabric district. I eat lunch there live every day when I am in town. Best stuff. Philadelphia Runner in Center City. I run with their running group whenever I am in town. Shopping. I dig Deep Sleep in Old City. Thi buys a lot of stuff at Revelations on 4th and South.


L: This really seems like a labor of love for you. Which came first, the desire to design bags or the desire to own your own business?

B: Business. I have always wanted to do my own thing. I used to run my own record label, then stared an Olympic development team for post-college distance runners, now this. I guess I like to have my hands busy.


L: Any plans in the future to branch out into other rugged chic accessories?

B: We have been messing with a bunch of rip-stop type materials, but have not found the right one yet. It is on the table though.


L: I love the idea that you name all of your bags after friends. Where did that idea come from?

B: Thi thought of it. We were just laying out the catalog and we were thinking of how to name the bags. Then she wanted to name this one round bag Mi after her mom, because she has a big round head. Then I wanted to name a square one after our buddy Jeff Pelly because he knows it’s hip to be square. And so on.


L: How are the bags themselves made? Do you send them out to another company to construct?

B: Yes. We draw up rough ideas, then make samples. These samples are then sent to a factory to reproduce. We have the final step production done all over the world. The Sunbrella bags are made outside of Hong Kong. The Harris Tweed bags are being produced in Scotland.


L: Do you and Thi carry Track + Field bags yourselves? What is your favorite piece?

B: Thi is using the Roxas and I am using the Pelly. I love all of them. I want to make a more dude friendly Mi so I can rock it. Maybe next year.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


(Bags: Roxas and Pelly)


L: I really love the shape of the Mi bag. Do you plan on experimenting more with shape in the future as a stylistic technique for your woman’s collection?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


(Bag: Mi)

B: This is a really nice question. Yes, we hope we can always stay fresh while using mostly traditional shapes.


L: Is the company name a Belle & Sebastian reference?

B: Nope, I have run track since 8th grade. I am 31 now. I adore the sport and thought it was a good name for this project.


L: What do you think of blogging? Be honest we’ve heard it all before...

B: I think it is great. It is kinda of what we were talking about before with people doing things on their own.


L: Obviously you are into music, being part of the local rap group Yah Mos Def. Any other Philly bands you are into right now?

B: I like Pink Skull a lot. It is hard to say they are so many people doing cool things in Philly right now. Ravens and Vultures. Witch hunt. Sweatheart. Also anything that Steve Heise is involved in is gold. Dragon City, Persons, etc. All gold.


L: Lastly, give me a good “Philly” memory or experience?

B: One time I was running on Forbidden Drive in Fairmont Park. This 5 mile stretch is beautiful if you have never been there. I was running with the LaSalle XC team. Anyhow, we come around one bend and Mayor Street is there stretching. Looked like he was in the middle a run. Before any of us could say anything, he said “you dudes are ugly!” I don’t know why. He was smiling so he must have been joking but I still don’t get it.


To become "friends" with TRKFLD, visit their Myspace.


To shop visit www.trkfld.com.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket



Written by Louisa Engle, Photos by TRK+FLD

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Like all designs and fashions things change and sometimes rapidly, aluminium garden furniture for instance has taken the spot of cast iron, why who knows it weighs less but is that a good thing out in fresh air, the designs and colours are the same, it is just fashion and trends bring back vowels.