Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Serra Leone Ain't Got Nothing On D-D-D-Diamond Girl

Philly's latest DJ Va-Jay-Jay (Oprah talk) opens up about her biggest Faux Pas'...


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


You may remember Diamond Girl on her training wheels at last year's Hands & Knees. Now she's back!.. DJ-ing Jonny Sorber's monthly Faux Pas and is quickly becoming that girl everyone is talking about.


Lady Diamond sits down with Ugh and lets us know what she wants to see you doin' on the dance floor, why she don't like no phonies and, how she plans to break into the fashion world! Go head girl...


The Interview


Conrad: Ms. Diamond, how did you get into DJ'ing?

Diamond Girl: I'm going to have to give most, if not all of the credit to John Redden for getting me into DJ'ing. I've always wanted to, ever since I started going out, but I never would've gone for it, had he not got me started.



C: Who were you're biggest influences coming into the game?

D: Well naturally, John Redden & Ian St. Laurent were big influences while at H&K, which was were I got my start, thanks to them. I also always admired Dave P for throwing probably some of the biggest, most fun parties in Philly.



C: You've gotten some press on Philebrity.com as being an up-and-coming/“it” DJ, how does that make you feel? And how do you turn those rumblings into real success?

D: It makes me feel good to know people have noticed, I almost feel like I should try harder to live up to the "it" DJ title. I'm not exactly sure how to be successful, I just take every gig I'm offered and try to network as much as possible. [ooo girl, that's the hooker method, but also the foundation of our business model here at Ugh..]



C: On the flip side, how do you deal with naysayers, people who may think you're more of a face than a DJ? Is it more difficult being a lady who spins?

D: I haven't heard any negativity from anyone about DJ'ing, or at least it hasn't gotten to me. I don't think there's that much of a difference between being a dude that spins or a chick that spins. I hope people see me as a serious DJ, not just some girl that's trying to look cool.



C: “Diamond Girl” can have a lot of different meanings, where does your name come from?

D: I actually got my name from Steven Bloodbath. He always called me Diamond Girl after I requested the song once while he was DJ'ing. It's a really cheesy 90s dance track by Nice'n'Wild.


C: What's you're favorite thing about DJ'ing?

D: I love playing all my favorite songs and watching people, as well as my friends, freak out when they hear them. And it's just really satisfying to drop a track at the exact right moment & have it sound perfect.


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


C: What do you do? Where do you work?

D: I work at a retail place in my home town, and just about full time too because I don't go to school. I did go to a community college for more than a year for fine arts, but that really bored me and I started to hate it. What I really want to do is something in the fashion industry. I've wanted to be a designer forever, but I'd be happy doing just about anything involving fashion. I just need to find the right school and I will eventually.



C: Where do you look for fashion? Where do you shop?

D: When the Style channel used to show runway shows all the time, I was constantly watching it. But that's over now, so I like to look in magazines and the people around me for new styles and ideas. Honestly, one of my favorite stores is H&M, not only because of how cheap everything is, but how even stuff I bought years ago is still wearable. It's not over-the-top trendy, I also like American Apparel for the same reasons, but who doesn't? [true.]



C: What do you look for in guys? Are you dating now?

D: I'm sure everyone says this but I really love guys that can make me laugh a lot without trying too hard. And obviously honesty and a sense that they're genuine in their words and actions is key, I don't like phonies. I do have a boyfriend now, his name is Adam and he's super cute.


What's your Ugh-pinion on...


Hillary vs. Obama?

Too early for politics...

Sal's or Silk?

Definitely Silk, the decor alone wins it.

Me (Conrad)?

I think you look like a model, I don't really know you enough to have an “Ugh-pinion” on your personality though. [I'm an orphan, so that made me feel good...]

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Truly one of the nicest people in Philly.
Thanks Diamond Girl!


And on a completely unrelated note...

Let me borrow that top bitch!!



No comments: